A baby is on the way, and you are excited and anxious about all you need to take care of your baby. I imagine the hospital only gave you a hospital list during your antenatal visit, and you are looking to make your baby comfortable on coming, especially if you are a first-time mother. There are many baby gears, both essential and non-essential, but you don\’t need baby gear on the list that the seller gives to you. You should get essential things a newborn baby needs first before you purchase any other baby gear.
Essentials for a newborn
I have written below is a list of things to buy for a newborn, items required within the first month of newborn\’s arrival.
- Chlorhexidine for Umbilical cord care
- Diapers and wipes
- Breast pump and feeding bottles
- Sleepsuit, jumpsuit, and bips
- Socks and caps
- Burb clothes and wash clothes
- Swaddle wraps and flannel
- Baby carrier
- Car seat
- Cot or sleep-in mattress
- Baby linens
- Sterilizing set
- Nappy cream
- Bath soap, shampoo oil, and lotion,
- Hair combs and brush
- Grooming equipment
- Nursing bra and breast pads
- Cotton swab
- A nursing pillow
- Nasal aspirator
- Medicine dropper
- Hot water flask
Let us discuss some of the lists of baby items by categories and things to buy and take to the hospital
- Few diapers
- Wipes and nappy cream
- Receiving blanket
- Hooded baby towel
- Bath soap, washcloth, and lotion
- A towel for the mother
- A nightwear
- Maternity pads
- Breast pads
- Feeding cup and spoon
- Formula for mothers who have delayed lactation
- Hot water flask
- Bath soap and sponge for the mother
Baby Feeding Gear
- Burp cloths. You will need six or more burps clothes, whether you are breastfeeding or bottle-feeding. The burp cloths are to prevent your clothes from being soiled by the milk your baby will spill out or vomit.
- Nursing pillow. A nursing pillow is essential for comfortable breastfeeding time. It is to support the head of your baby and give you good posture when breastfeeding your few-days-old baby
- Nursing pads. No mother likes a cloth or bed soaked with her breastmilk, and that is what nursing or breast pads prevent from happening. You will need two to three packs.
- Bibs. There are cotton and plastic bips available, but cotton bibs are preferable for newborn babies.
- Breast pump. This is not a must-have for everyone, but you should know the breast pump makes everything about breastfeeding easier. You can pump into feeding bottles or storage containers and store in the freezer
- Sterilizing set, feeding bottles, cups, and spoon. You need 1 sterilizing set, 3 feeding bottles, 2 baby cups, and a set of spoons. Your baby\’s feeding equipment always has to be sterilized.
Baby Diapering Gear
- Diapers. You will need at least two packs of baby diapers in the list of baby items to buy. Your baby will use 150 to 180 diapers in the first month of birth. A healthy baby is expected to soil five to six diapers daily.
- Wipes. Water-based baby wipes with no fragrance is a preferable choice for your newborn. Wipes are fore effective cleaning of a baby\’s poop.
- Nappy rash cream. This is a must-have to prevent babies from having rash and sores on their bum and genitals. The nappy rash cream is to be used after every diaper change.
- Bodysuits. Also known as onesies are comfortable for your baby. Make sure to buy 100% cotton. Babies need to wear pure cotton clothes, at least, for the first year of their lives. You will need to purchase 6 to 8 bodysuits before your baby is born. You can buy more after a month when you are sure of his size
- Sleepsuits. Sleepsuits are the bodysuits with legs and foot cover attached. The nurses or midwives are most likely going to wear a sleepsuit for your baby for his first clothing. And I would recommend wearing them sleepsuits for at least two weeks before you put on fancy clothes for them. You will need 6 to 10.
- Socks, mittens, and caps. When your baby isn\’t in a sleepsuit, then he must be wearing cotton socks. A baby should be fully covered in their early weeks of birth. Mittens are the hand cover, and caps should cover the head.
- Fancy clothes. You need to get some pure cotton fancy clothes for your baby\’s naming, christening, and dedication. When your baby finally starts going probably after six weeks, you might want to dress your baby up. Remember not to expose him.
- Chlorhexidine. Before now, cotton wool dipped in alcohol, also called methylated spirit, was recommended for use, but due to increasing cases of fake methylated spirit, WHO recommends Chlorhexidine for umbilical cord care. You are to clean it every morning until the cord falls off.
- Bath tube: You cannot bath your baby in a regular container just yet. Babies tend to be slippery when bathing or dressing them, so extra caution needs to be taken. Get the right bath tube that will not allow water to spill into their nostrils.
- Bath soap, washcloth and shampoo: You should get soaps that are less acidic and designed for babies. Your baby\’s skin is susceptible and can easily absorb substances into the skin. Try as much as possible to get organic products. You need 6 cotton washcloths to use with soap to clean the baby\’s body.
- Oil and lotion: Your baby\’s hair needs oil at all times, and his skin needs to be moisturized. I will recommend the use of coconut oil for hair and skin for the first six weeks; after then, you can introduce alkaline-based lotion or organic lotions.
- Hooded towels. This is to wrap your baby after a bath. You need 3. Wash your baby\’s towels every 3 to 5 days.
- Cotton swabs. You need the cotton swabs to clean the umbilical cord, tongue, and the navel after the umbilical falls off.
- Grooming equipment. Should contain scissors, nail clippers and a file to keep your baby\’s nails trimmed and clean.
- Cot or sleep-in mattress. It is your choice if you want your baby sleeping in a cot or your bed. If you want your baby close to you, then a sleep-in mattress is useful to prevent accidents from occurring. For mosquito prone areas, get a mosquito net.
- Wardrobe. To store the baby\’s dressings.
- Crib mattress. If you are using a folded crib or bassinet, then a crib mattress isn\’t necessary. But it is very much needed for a crib.
- 2 to 3 baby crib sheets
- Receiving blankets or flannel. You need 3 to 6 of them to always carry your baby for the first three months. Always buy one hundred percent cotton when purchasing fabrics for your baby.
Baby Car Seat
- You need this to carry your baby in the car. You can decide to buy the one you can use until your child is ten years or buy for every stage. There are car seats with a hood that serves the purpose of carrying the baby around too. You should put this into consideration when drafting your baby items list.
Our ultimate newborn baby essentials can help you determine what you\’ll need to purchase and prepare as you get ready for baby\’s birth, including essential items for feeding, sleeping, bathing, and clothing.